Wednesday 23 July 2008

Beaches and parks

It's been a glorious couple of days here, over 27 deg..that's scorchio for Scotland!!!

I've been so busy, out and about a lot with friends. Yesterday afternoon we all headed to the park with our children, I snuck off and went to the docs for my follow-up check.

Last time saw I the Dr (around 2 mths ago), I had become hugely agoraphobic and was just about having a nervous breakdown - what a difference in me now. `The Dr thinks I should have counselling again but I don't see the point, I had CBT last time I went through this, and yes it was helpful, but I know how it works now and I think it's basic common sense.

I could not have put it into practice when I was in the throes of my panic disorder, but now the meds have lifted me out of the dark place I can use the skills (and I am using them). I really don't feel I need any other counselling as my problem is just part of my personality, it's nothing to do with my childhood or anything terrible happening to me, I know how to sort my thought processes out, I just had to be in the right frame of mind to do it (does that make sense?)

The shingles did not make an appearance thankfully, but I got the antiviral's just in case it decides to try to rear it's blistery ugly head again.

Today we went to the beach with friends. It was absolutely baking here in the city centre where we live, but jeeez, it was windy and freezing at the beach. We found a sheltered spot in the dunes and had a really great day. I'm feeling a little sun damaged but I've been out and not even a tinge of anx today...YAY!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I was interested in your statement that you could not put your knowledge to use "in the throes of my panic disorder".

I studied hypnotherapy and use self-hypnosis extensively for my own benefit and this might benefit you also. When properly done, all you need is a "trigger" to help you. You should also remember that all hypnosis is really self-hypnosis and no one really controls you except yourself.

I make use of it a lot in fearful situations. Anyone's mind can work for or against them and often we let it work against us. But you can take charge. From your blog, I can see you are a highly intelligent person (not sucking up!) and therefore it should be easier for you than most people.

Unknown said...

aww soooo please and proud of u - this was an amazing thing u acheived so wtg u
havent posted here but u know I have been following ur progress .
remember een if u do have another of day - and chances are u will - keep this day in mind YOU CAN DO IT

Mark said...

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I came across your blog after finding a link to my blog in my stats.

So:

1) Thanks for the link
2) I've now bookmarked you to come back and start reading through

It's always nice to talk to fellow phobics. Especially those trying to be positive and work through it.

Affers

Jo said...

Hi Playingfield, thanks for your comment. I have tried hypnotherapy in the past with a doctor, but it didn't work for me as I didn't like the feeling of being under someone elses' control so I wouldn't let myself relax (silly I know :D).

I'm very interested in this trigger word technique though Do you have more info on how to do this?

+++++++++

Hi Beulah, awww it's great to see your comment here, thanks so much for your supportive words, it means so much to me <3

+++++++++

Hi Affers, thanks for visiting. Yes, it's good to know that there are likeminded souls who are actually pretty normal too, despite all our various quirks :D

Anonymous said...

The "trigger" thing is what people associate with post-hypnotic suggestions given by stage hypnotists. An example would be snapping the fingers and the person dancing like a chicken. This is bit ridiculous and usually staged.

But we experience triggers in our everyday life through common trances which we don't even recognize. See "Trances People Live"

http://www.amazon.com/Trances-People-Live-Stephen-Wolinsky/dp/096261842X

We can also establish positive triggers to help us "snap out it" or even to heal ourselves.

When you say it did not work for you, that could be for several reasons which have nothing to do with the validity of the technique. There are unskilled hypnotists and they give the practice a bad name. I ask that you reserve judgment until you have read the above - if you feel so moved.

Some people can learn on their own and to those I recommend the book "Self Hypnosis" by Brian Alman. There are others more popular but this one is the best by far.

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Hypnosis-Brian-M-Alman/dp/0285631365/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217025592&sr=1-12

One reason I think it could work for you is that you already see that your agoraphobia is part of your personality - but not you. Many go lifetimes without understanding the persona is a mask - in fact a whole "reality" that we have put into place to cope.

Also, I think you realize that med are not the answer and that all meds have side effects.

I have refrained from giving you the type of encouragement that others give - because that would be repetitive. But I do admire your apparent strength.